It can take just seconds for an employee or a customer to trip and fall. While it may not seem glamorous to think about, there are several things business owners can do to decrease the likelihood of a slip or fall accident taking place on their premises. Slippery and unprotected floors are the highest cause of slips and falls – that fact alone should be enough to ensure that you are doing what you can to keep employees and customers safe.
Generally speaking, slips and trips happen because of a loss of traction between footwear and the walking surface or due to contact with an uneven or movable object (business floor mats that are not properly secured).
Some of the most common causes for loss of traction or uneven flooring are:
- Wet or greasy floors
- Dry floors with wood dust or powder
- Uneven or damaged floors
- Polished or freshly waxed floors
- Loose flooring, carpeting or mats
- Transition from one floor type to another
- Shoes with wet, muddy, greasy or oily soles
- Electrical cords or cables
- Metal surfaces – dock plates, construction plates
- Weather hazards – rain, sleet, ice, snow, hail, frost
- Wet leaves or pine needles
One of the best ways to prevent slip and fall accidents is to be using proper mats for business in all areas where hazards may occur. In addition to entry ways, high traffic areas used by employees or customers, food prep areas or type of prep areas should have proper mats in place. Mats for business should be considered as part of your workplace safety program!
There is a lot to consider when you think of the value and importance proper mats can have for your business. City Clean is an expert when it comes to helping businesses utilize rental mats for business as part of your housekeeping and health and safety practices.
Not only can City Clean advise you on where you should have mats for your business, we can also work with you to ensure the right type of mats are being used. We have a wide selection of rental mats which include traditional mats, Waterhog floor mats, SuperScrap mats and Anti-Fatigue comfort floor mats. Each mat has a different purpose but their common goal is to keep your business safe and clean.
In addition to using proper business floor mats, there are a few other things you can do to help reduce slip and fall incidents:
- Ensure your floors are in good condition (using mats is actually a great way to prolong the life of your floors!)
- Make sure you have proper lighting at all entranceways
- Keep high-traffic areas free of clutter and remind employees to always put things away in the right place
No business owner wants a slip-and-fall accident to occur at their place of business. Contact City Clean today to discuss how our rental mats can help make your business a safer place.